Mayor of London
Office hours: 020 7983 4070
Out of hours and weekends: 020 7983 4000
Wednesday 20 December 2006 FORWARD PLANNING – LIVE EVENTS
Plans announced for third Russian New Year celebrations in Trafalgar Square
Event Russian Winter Festival
Venue Trafalgar Square, London WC2
Date Saturday 13 January 2007
Information 020 7983 4100; www.eventica.co.uk/events/rwf/2007 / www.london.gov,uk
The third Russian Winter Festival, organised by Eventica with the support of the Russian Economic Forum and the Mayor of London, will take place on Saturday 13 January 2007, the eve of the Russian ‘Old New Year’, which was originally celebrated before 1917.
The free event is open to all and will feature an eclectic mix of live performance, music and other attractions aimed at people of all ages.
Live performances will include young Russian Londoners performing classical Russian folk dance and songs, as well as professional musical ensembles. Music will range from the traditional – including balalaikas and accordions and dance moves such as the Cossack kazachok – to contemporary popular music from Russia itself.
There will be Russian crafts and other products available from specially constructed Russian kiosks, Russian children’s games and puppet performances, and traditional Russian food.
Further details about performers will be released in due course.
More information about the Russian Winter Festival is available by calling Lieran Stubbings at Eventica on 020 7183 2560, or Ben McKnight in the Mayor’s press office on 020 7983 4071.
Notes to editors
1. The Russian Winter Festival will take place in Trafalgar Square on Saturday 13 January 2007. It is being organised by the Russian Economic Forum, with the support of the Mayor of London. For more information: www.eventica.co.uk/events/rwf/2007. Or call the Greater London Authority on 020 7983 4100, or Lieran Stubbings at the Russian Economic Forum on 020 7183 2560.
2. The event celebrates the Russian Old New Year, which falls in mid-January and is based on the Julian calendar, which was in use before 1917.
3. Eventica, which organises annual business, social and investment events, (its flagship event being the Russian Economic Forum which is held in London in April), is hosting its annual ‘Old New Year’ gala dinner at the Guildhall on Friday 12 January, as a curtain raiser to the Russian Winter Festival. Further information on attending and sponsoring the event can be obtained by telephone 020 7183 2560, or by emailing Elena at email@example.com
4. Proceeds raised during the Gala Dinner will support the construction fund for the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Adoration of the Virgin Mary in Chiswick, London.
5. The Russian Winter Festival seeks to innovate and add to its themes each year. Sporting elements have always proven popular and the Russian Winter Festival 2007 will seek to integrate sport with culture by profiling winter sports. Famous sporting personalities will appear at the event at strategic points throughout the whole day, information will be available on Sochi – Russia’s Candidate City for the Winter Olympics 2014 and competitions will be held with the best on simulated winter sports games!
MEDIA ENQUIRIES: Press information is available from Ben McKnight on 020 7983 4071 (number not for publication) or Lieran Stubbings on 020 7183 2560
GENERAL PUBLIC/NON-MEDIA ENQUIRIES: Call the Public Liaison Unit at the Greater London Authority on 020 7983 4100
DUTY PRESS OFFICER: For out-of-hours media enquiries, please call 020 7983 4000
Chief Communications Officer
Mayor’s Press Office
Greater London Authority
The Queen’s Walk
London SE1 2AA
t: 020 7983 4071
m: 07881 501 920